RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

The least ridiculous quote I got was from Aviva Online via a comparison site, apparently I was told it was vehicle specific as the risk on RS3s had gone up in recent months - not sure if that was local to me or in general or how they do it.
I have had a boring evening but @Kevmoz is on the money. I have got companies that will insure the RS3 without blinking and not the X5, and vice versa. If I separate the two I can nearly halve Admirals renewal. I think it's in the place where you have to be phoning and speaking to people, websites are too mechanical. I have a couple of people to call tomorrow and will follow up on the Audi insurance tip fron @Kevmoz I wouldn't be worried about 10-20%, but 50% disgusts me out of principle,

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, Kevmoz and Daggerit
Obviously everyone’s going to be different but I tried a quote with Adrian Flux just before I sold the car. Was just over 2k on admiral multi car for RS3 and the Q7… over 4k for RS3 alone with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I got £1800 with Admiral for the RS3 and X5, which might not be madness but it compares with £1200 last year and I can't help thinking somebody is taking the pi55.

Reactions: RS03??? and Daggerit
Yeah I got £1800 with Admiral for the RS3 and X5, which might not be madness but it compares with £1200 last year and I can't help thinking somebody is taking the pi55.
Mine went up by 40% this year, when I queried, the reason given was, getting hold of replacement parts + longer time taken and its impact on duration of the loan car + storage and so on. Yes, definite case of over milking.

Reactions: itsbigyellow

That 4k was with Adrian flux for the RS3 alone, might have even been something like 4600 vs 2k for RS3 and Q7 together with admiral.

Well Adrian Flux didn't quote me in the end, wanted me to phone them. 24 years NCB living in deepest Wiltshire. I feel for you guys living in cities etc

My renewal with churchill came through at 1400, considering last year was paying just over 700. I phoned em up and haggled it down to 980. Always phone ure current insurer and try haggle them down first. Im 34 living scotland clean licence and 8y ncb

Seems to be a general trend, automated renewal quotation, ring them up and then gets lowered. Had one from AA, more than 30% increase from previous, when called, dropped to last years price. Is this case of loyalty or losing the business tactic ? Again Zero claims, another year of NCD. Just another hassle I don't need as well up coughing up the renewal.

Reactions: garethdj
Make sure engine is warm at normal running temp and drive select is in RS or dynamic and give it plenty of gas on start up and you will get the gun shots.
Finally, remembered to try it, worked.:bomb:

Reactions: Mike.46, kayemill and Daggerit
Maybe if we keep doing it, the OPFs will blow out the back!

Nice thought but unfortunately it destroys the cats more. The problem is then bits get sucked back into the engine on overrun. Just ask all the early V10 owners what that does, especially the Lambos.

Nice thought but unfortunately it destroys the cats more. The problem is then bits get sucked back into the engine on overrun. Just ask all the early V10 owners what that does, especially the Lambos.
Never thought of that being an issue. How does that happen, given I'd assume the piston is always on the exhaust stroke when the exhaust valves are open? Not an engine expert but I've never heard of an exhaust line sucking air in on the exhaust stroke, unless it has something to do with scavenging? And on ours I guess the turbo wastegate being closed but the turbine spinning should keep any fragments pushed back a bit.

Lol won’t bother em mate, they’ll move it on after 6 months, it’ll be the later owners that get the big bills, rusty arches / missing OPF’s

• Haha
Reactions: flybynite
Never thought of that being an issue. How does that happen, given I'd assume the piston is always on the exhaust stroke when the exhaust valves are open? Not an engine expert but I've never heard of an exhaust line sucking air in on the exhaust stroke, unless it has something to do with scavenging? And on ours I guess the turbo wastegate being closed but the turbine spinning should keep any fragments pushed back a bit.
It is a bit bigger picture than that, you shut the throttle with the engine at high speed it can't get air in, creates a vacuum in the engine. Valve overlap (especially aggressive overlap on high performance or tuned cars) can let that vacuum reach the exhaust. It is worse with N/A engines (like the V10) but I have seen it pull cat dust past a turbo in a 'pop and bang' tuned turbo 4-cyl so it does happen.

It is what put me off an early 5.0 Gallardo which I was seriously considering because I love the sound split crank V10s make. Later cats are more resistant to it but aggressive maps beat on anything in the exhaust eventually. If my DAZA gets mapped it will keep its standard overrun or turn it down where I can. Not only to protect the cats but I think in a world with pop and bang maps on Corsas it just sounds chavvy these days. Low burble is where it is at! :friendly wink:

Reactions: Dan_DJT, 8YARWY, kayemill and 1 other person
Reactions: garethdj
The only saving grace there, you wouldn’t feel as bothered if you won it on 1 ticket cost compared to paying 60k+

Tbf they obviously don’t realise it’s got the Scorpion exhaust left or found the warranty sticker for the ceramic coating.

Looks like it’s still on the original tyres too. Which are kaput.

I mean the thing is/was immaculate but was well used!

Tbf they obviously don’t realise it’s got the Scorpion exhaust left or found the warranty sticker for the ceramic coating.

Looks like it’s still on the original tyres too. Which are kaput.

I mean the thing is/was immaculate but was well used!

So no missing paint on the rear arches lol…..

Just sorted out my car insurance with Quote me happy. £500 cheaper than some comparison sites, hope this helps someone out. MSE website also has a good tool to show what details you can use to make it cheaper.

Reactions: rngDeadeye, cooperp, RS03??? and 1 other person
Quick q guys.... pcm or racechip tuning box for the 8y? Which is best all round.

Heard racechip gives issues apparently.

Quick q guys.... pcm or racechip tuning box for the 8y? Which is best all round.

Heard racechip gives issues apparently.

Buy my bluespark box for £200 instead…

Just sorted out my car insurance with Quote me happy. £500 cheaper than some comparison sites, hope this helps someone out. MSE website also has a good tool to show what details you can use to make it cheaper.

I just tried it, £560 for my wife and I.

I've just been arguing with Admiral as to why a couple on their late 40s with 20 years NCD each should be paying so much. Apparently everyone who came back from lockdown crashed.

Sadly, I can believe this as I noticed the quality of driving had taken a dive. It's why I joined and got an IAM license.

Reactions: NevMan, RS3ree and Daggerit

I've just been arguing with Admiral as to why a couple on their late 40s with 20 years NCD each should be paying so much. Apparently everyone who came back from lockdown crashed.

Sadly, I can believe this as I noticed the quality of driving had taken a dive. It's why I joined and got an IAM license.
I tried them and got a quote of something like £880 if I remember rightly. Crazy pricing when last year I was paying £450... But as you say, it's gone up across the board (but they were still more expensive than others unfortunately).

But it's not just you it's the others that crash into you (stating the obvious)

But agree the std of driving on the UK roads is horrendous, not helped by the fact that too many cars dont appear to have any indicators fitted as std :sadlike:

Reactions: RS03???, Daggerit and 8YARWY
not helped by the fact that too many cars dont appear to have any indicators fitted as std :sadlike:
This is one of my biggest annoyances. You're sitting at a roundabout or a junction waiting to go and a car pulls off, where you could've gone if they'd actually let you know what they were doing... There's a lot of shouting that goes on in my car. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: NevMan, Rs3Dude and Mike.46
This is one of my biggest annoyances. You're sitting at a roundabout or a junction waiting to go and a car pulls off, where you could've gone if they'd actually let you know what they were doing... There's a lot of shouting that goes on in my car. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Even if its fitted as standard, then its an entitlement without the mirrors and common sense being fitted.
Also, me thinks, with most of the cars being automatic, it diminishes the driving concentration and allows high level of skill to use the other hand to hold the mobile.:scared2:

Reactions: Mike.46 and Daggerit
Even if its fitted as standard, then its an entitlement without the mirrors and common sense being fitted.
Also, me thinks, with most of the cars being automatic, it diminishes the driving concentration and allows high level of skill to use the other hand to hold the mobile.:scared2:
Totally agree. The amount of people I filter past on my motorcycle that have their phone in their hand is ridiculous.

Reactions: Mike.46
Lane hogging has to be the most annoying thing I see. I was on the M25 not long after lockdown and not only were people hogging lanes, they were hogging lane3 of a 4 lane motorway.

Balls to fining drivers with loud exhausts, if it was up to me lane hogging would gain you 3 points and/or driver training at their cost.

With ANPR cameras on motorways, it would be very easy to figure out some plum is in lane 3 yet nothing has past in lane 1 and 2 for 10 seconds.

Deadye's Britian would be a different place.

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
Smoking the Crack I think

de5773064d72a92536cafcfa2114e7b4.png

Reactions: NevMan
O/t out in the RSQ3 yesterday and all the boy racers trying to burn me off. First an A45s on hold at the lights only to launch control away then current shape M3 blasting past me as I was just driving along a DC road! Is it a constant issue for you in the RS3?!

TX.

O/t out in the RSQ3 yesterday and all the boy racers trying to burn me off. First an A45s on hold at the lights only to launch control away then current shape M3 blasting past me as I was just driving along a DC road! Is it a constant issue for you in the RS3?!

TX.
No as they wouldn’t stand a chance, just a nod or a thumbs up usually

Reactions: Terminator x
They probably do that anyway whether you were in an RSQ3 or a Dacia Sandero, I find most that do that seem oblivious to anything around them.

Admittedly my RS3 is a debadged sleeper but I find people act like muppets around it no different to anything else I have including the 20 year old diesel VW wagon I use for carting stuff about. :shrug:

Reactions: Terminator x